1. I love watching movies,series and anything interesting on telly really. My favourite series of all time is Supernatural.I looooove it,dono why..maybe its coz i have such a strong religious background,and so i generally like demony things..haha.And shit on supernatural is almost 90% Bible accurate.ATM am watching criminal minds...nyway I have a DVD(My precious....)It has a name...it was born Victor(Do not even ask!!)!!I love my Victor.
2. I can speak Khmer(Cambodian language)so I tend to interact aloooot with a few Cambodians and I tend to tell tiny little lies to these Cambodians...well in my defense they all start of as sarcastic jokes ..but then I realise that they actually believe whatever ridiculous thing am saying.So I kinda just go with the flow.Later I started to wonder what other ridiculous things I can get away with...and am telling you..LOADS!!They believe anything!!I was once hanging out with some Cambodian women and it was evening and when it started getting dark..I feigned surprise and told them that it never gets dark in Africa(PS most Cambodians think Africa is one big country)and that that was the first time I was seeing darkness..coz where am from...the sun shines day and night-They believed!!I have told my students that my hair extension was actually a pet hedgehog from Africa that I carry around on my head to protect me from people who want to harm me-they believed me.I have told some Cambodian women that African women pee with one leg on the floor and the other leg on the wall...(Do not even ask how we got to talking about this!!)-They believed me. I have told my students that I was more than 200 yrs old(gave them some story of a magic fountain in Kenya with anti aging magical water...bla bla bla)-they believed me.And since I stopped having the conversation about Africans being black coz of the hot burning sun in Africa,a moto bike guy once asked me about it and I told him it was true...we actually have 3 suns in the sky at any given moment in Africa!!-He tottally believed me!!I love Cambodians!!
3. I did not know I was black until I came to Cambodia.Here ...it is all about the skin..the lighter you are the more beautiful you are..the darker you are the less beautiful you are.The darker kids at school are teased endlessly about it..the lighter ones are praised endlessly about it..and these are just kids.It took a bit of getting used to the stares I get here for being black...it was weird at first but now I dont even notice it..Some women in the market have rubbed my skin to see if it'll rub off..shock on them..it DIDN'T.hahaha.I have had some women tell me they think I was beautiful but then their eyes would be filled with such deep sadness before they'd add..."If only you were not black!!" hahaha....again,I love Cambodians.
4. My trip to Kratie Province to spend Khmer new Year with a Cambodian family this year...that was by far one of the best decisions I have ever made while am here.I did it Cambodian style all the way...no special treatment..ate what they ate(damn...them Cambodians can eat weird things..am telling ya!!),slept where they slept(on a hard ass wooden bed with no mattress on..I have never had so many aches!!),showered where they showered(with the plastic scoop...yeah no showers there)Did what they did everyday(they had a small roadside restaurant serving breakfast and porridge...I served customers,cleared tables,wiped tables..it was fun actually).And i got to see the famous Cambodian dolphins!!
5. Last but not least,I went to Bangkok Thailand early this year..and yeah..very interesting place,but what was more interesting is how I got my Thai Visa.I got it from the guard at the Thai Embassy here in Cambodia!!Yes I said guard!I had heard rumors that to get a Thai Visa you didn't even need to go IN the embassy or fill out any forms(Well,you could....but just in case you didn't want to..or are in a hurry..)..just get there give the gate guard your passport,agree on a price and when to come pick up your passport....DONE!Yup I did exactly that...was I scared that I might never see my passport ever again...YES!!But I still did it..I had to..It was awesome..I wish other embassies (read USA) were like that..*sigh*
Yeah well that's all I can remember for now.Is it silly? ...yeah kinda haha.Cheers people.x